Outbound SSL Cert Stores -- that means there are technically three (3)?

Hello Sonatype Community,

Good afternoon.
I am looking for clarification please on the following regarding Outbound SSL Cert Stores.
I already read the Sonatype documentation (link below).
#3 , #4 are my questions. I assume I am correct. Just want to check.
For documentation purposes on myside.
Thanks in advance.
Thanks,
John Dove
John.Dove@its.ny.gov

[1]
I read the following online Sonatype support documentation for Outbound SSL certificates.
https://help.sonatype.com/repomanager2/secure-socket-layer-ssl/managing-outbound-ssl-certificates
Makes sense.

[2]
I am using NEXUS OSS 2.14.18.
Because I use OSS I must modify the default JVM TRUSTSTORE file (cacerts) to add my special CA ROOT certs. Then I must edit Nexus properties (wrapper file) to link-in that modified TRUSTSTORE file.
Makes sense.

[3]
QUESTION PLEASE
This means there are THREE (3) certificate STORES that NEXUS OSS uses.
As follows.
Correct?

CERT STORE 1
The Nexus OSS INTERNAL PRIVATE TRUSTSTORE which cannot be configured since this is OSS version. But it still exists (assuming it must?)

CERT STORE 2
The default Java JVM TRUSTSTORE (cacerts) that is part of JRE that runs the Nexus OSS manager.

CERT STORE 3
My Modified Java JVM TRUSTSTORE (cacert2) that exists in my separate directory, where I modified it, to contain more specialized ROOT CERTS (e.g. from NYS ITS).

[4]
QUESTION PLEASE
Following above, this means ALL THREE (3) STORES will be merged by NEXUS OSS when checking for certificate-trust, when evaluating remote proxy site SSL certificates.
Correct?

I am still unsure how many TRUST STORES NEXUS is actually “merging” together for a final SSL CERT vetting mechanism, but I got things working on my side. I followed the link above of the Sonatype online support document, step-by-step, and it worked.

Note – if running NEXUS on Linux as a service, then the service status “running” message will show (at least on my system) the explicit CACERT trust store overrides. That way, you can observe that your settings are working and in-effect.

~ John

Following above. Might help others:

systemctl start nexus ← start the service on Linux

systemctl status nexus ← its STDOUT output shows the -Djavax.net.ssl.truststore … explicit overrides.