Repository Manager OSS 3.19.0 failing to start

Since upgrading to OSS 3.19.0 I am unable to start the nexus service, which returns error:
Error occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/ClassNotFoundException: error in opening JAR file
lib/endorsed/._org.apache.karaf.specs.java.xml-4.2.6.jar

I updated my java environment which was previously:
openjdk version “1.8.0_191”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_191-b12)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.191-b12, mixed mode)

It is worth noting I am running this on an EC2 instance using Amazon Linux.

Are there any solutions to this?

Seems like something is wrong with the install? Not sure why there is a “._org…” file in lib/endorsed folder.

I have tried reinstalling several times to make sure, however the process I am using is exactly the same as previous versions. Re-installing back to 18.1 seems to work.

The main difference I am seeing between the 18.1 and 19.1 installs is that 19 lib/ contains an endorsed folder and 18 does not.

The endorsed folder contains:
org.apache.karaf.specs.java.xml-4.2.6.jar org.apache.karaf.specs.locator-4.2.6.jar
._org.apache.karaf.specs.java.xml-4.2.6.jar ._org.apache.karaf.specs.locator-4.2.6.jar

I downloaded https://download.sonatype.com/nexus/3/latest-unix.tar.gz. Is there an extra step I’ve missed?

Is this line present in the bin/nexus.vmoptions file?

-Djava.endorsed.dirs=lib/endorsed

It is yes. Should it be?

Yes, it should be. That path in the error looks odd… what is the “ls -la” list of the “lib/endorsed” directory?

-rw-r–r-- 1 nexus nexus 212 Oct 7 19:34 ._org.apache.karaf.specs.java.xml-4.2.6.jar
-rw-r–r-- 1 nexus nexus 62802 Oct 7 19:34 org.apache.karaf.specs.java.xml-4.2.6.jar
-rw-r–r-- 1 nexus nexus 212 Oct 7 19:34 ._org.apache.karaf.specs.locator-4.2.6.jar
-rw-r–r-- 1 nexus nexus 10542 Oct 7 19:34 org.apache.karaf.specs.locator-4.2.6.jar

Try removing the files that start with “._org”.

That seems to have fixed it!