Cannot install with registry npm-group

I am running NXRM 3.30.0-01 and npm 7.8.0. I am trying to create a new package with npm init @open-wc. All attempts fail with the following message:

$ npm install
npm ERR! code ETARGET
npm ERR! notarget No matching version found for @web/dev-server@^0.1.11.
npm ERR! notarget In most cases you or one of your dependencies are requesting
npm ERR! notarget a package version that doesn't exist

If I comment out the NXRM npm-group registry from my ~/.npmrc file, the initialization runs. I see on npmjs.com that @web/dev-server@^0.1.11 is only 10 hours old at the moment. Is that the issue? I have several older versions of @web/dev-server in npm-package.

The Nexus defaults check for updates much more frequently than every 10-hours.

You’d need to look at the repository configuration to see if you’ve changed it, or whether the repository is offline. You may also want to look at the metadata of group members to see if the version is present.

I am the only developer using this server. There have been no changes to the settings of this repository in many months, during which time I have not see this or a similar error. As you can see from the accompanying screenshot, I have several earlier versions of this package, but not the one with the error, 0.1.11. As I stated, if I comment out npm-group as my repository in ~/.npmrc the package installs fine from npmjs.com.

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 14.36.34

See my previous comment.

We’re facing the same problem.
We also use a NXRM npm-group that is configured as registry in the npmrc.

For example, when I npm install @craco/craco, I get the error that the dependency accepts@~1.3.8 is not present.

$ npm i @craco/craco
npm ERR! code ETARGET
npm ERR! notarget No matching version found for accepts@~1.3.8.
npm ERR! notarget In most cases you or one of your dependencies are requesting
npm ERR! notarget a package version that doesn't exist.

However, the package can be found on the NXRM.

If I remove the NXRM npm-group registry from the .npmrc file, the installation succeeds.
We have observed that this behavior only occurs with npm version >= 7. With npm 6 there are no problems.

It seems that there is a problem with NXRM groups starting from npm version 7.

Yes, sounds similar to what I saw in April 2021 (see above). In my case–checks notes–five days later I uncommented the NXRM npm-group registry in my .npmrc file and the package worked. I had done nothing in the interim. NOTHING. I’ve no idea why it failed to begin with or why is suddenly worked. Clearly there’s an issue, but to my knowledge no one is looking into it. What version of NXRM are you running? I’m still using 3.30.0-01, but I’m now running npm 8.5.2.

We’re using NXRM 3.38.0-01.

I have also observed something similar. At one point, it worked again. However, I tried various things, so I can’t tell if any of it helped, or if it was coincidence.

I played around a bit with the local npm cache. With npm 8.x and installing the npm package using an alternative npm cache, the package installed fine. npm i --cache ~/tmp/alt-npm-cache @craco/craco

Then I cleared my local npm cache npm cache clean --force. Also then the package could be installed without errors.

No idea if this fixes the problem in the end. But it must be a problem related to the NXRM, because without it there is no problem.

I had the same problem. I found out that Nexus repository caches the not found responses from npm registry for period of time. (by default = 1440 minutes=1 day)
I changed the proxy repository settings as follows:
in Negative Cache section, I changed “Not found cache TTL:” to 1