Default Admin logon does not force password change

I setup a new Nexus 3.30.0 server and it starts up successfully.

The only issue seems to be the default admin password is forcing me to change the password.

I am using the password from located in
/opt/sonatype-work/nexus3/admin.password on the server.

But everytime it allows me to log in without forcing a password change and does not allow me to configure anything.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the Sonatype Community!

I have moved this to the Nexus Repository Manager category as I believe that may be what you’re referring to.

If you are looking to change your password, please refer to the instructions here: https://help.sonatype.com/repomanager3/user-interface/working-with-your-user-profile

If not, can you please clarify what you mean when you say it does not allow you to configure anything?

Thanks!

Hi

Thanks for responding.

So what happened is that i installed Nexus 3.30 for the first time on Linux.

After installing and the service is running, i try to access it via the UI. Once i click on sign in , I use the user “admin” and password retrieved from /opt/sonatype-work/nexus3/admin.password

But the issue seems to be that this user does not seem to have the admin role. From the instructions it says its supposed to ask me to reset the password after the initial log in but that does not seem to happen. Also, i seem to be able to use that admin account with any random password.

Therefore once i log in with that it keeps telling to retrieve the password from the admin.password file and also i dont have the option to see the configuration, settings or create new repositories. The only thing i can see is browse and search.

Thanks

I am referring to this step: Post Install Checklist

“The admin user will then be presented with an setup wizard which will assist the user in changing the admin password along with other initial system setup.”

This does not seem to happen with my installation.

That’s super-weird. If this is a fresh install, did you try wiping out the install and re-installing? Did you get any weird errors in the logs? Are you using an ad-blocker on your browser - maybe try disabling any browser extensions just in case it’s a frontend-only issue. You also might try using the rest API to check the user information - you can see it at /swagger-ui/. The trailing slash is important there.

Its very strange. I reinstalled everything from scratch and still seeing the following error and i am certain about the password that i got from ././././admin.password:

Started Sonatype Nexus OSS 3.26.1-02

2021-04-14 02:55:03,932+0000 INFO [qtp194056262-45] *UNKNOWN org.apache.shiro.session.mgt.AbstractValidatingSessionManager - Enabling session validation scheduler…
2021-04-14 02:55:03,953+0000 INFO [qtp194056262-45] *UNKNOWN org.sonatype.nexus.internal.security.anonymous.AnonymousManagerImpl - Using default configuration: OrientAnonymousConfiguration{enabled=true, userId=‘anonymous’, realmName=‘NexusAuthorizingRealm’}
2021-04-14 03:00:00,053+0000 INFO [quartz-7-thread-1] *SYSTEM org.sonatype.nexus.quartz.internal.task.QuartzTaskInfo - Task ‘Storage facet cleanup’ [repository.storage-facet-cleanup] state change WAITING → RUNNING
2021-04-14 03:00:00,099+0000 INFO [quartz-7-thread-1] *SYSTEM org.sonatype.nexus.quartz.internal.task.QuartzTaskInfo - Task ‘Storage facet cleanup’ [repository.storage-facet-cleanup] state change RUNNING → WAITING (OK)

Make sure you aren’t copying extra characters if you’re copying from console, etc.

Otherwise I would suggest looking to see if a proxy, a reverse proxy, a virus scanner, or adblocker is intercepting the requests.

Hello,
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having this same issue.