Default Setting Changes in NXRM 3.17.0 Release

As part of the 3.17.0 release, we’ve made a few changes to help administrators of new Nexus Repository Manager instances start out on the right foot.

New instances will now generate a random password and save it to the data (e.g. sonatype-work/nexus3) directory, which is a significant change. This will ensure that the first user to access the instance as admin is the instance owner.

SIGN%20IN

After retrieving the password from the file and logging in, the administrator will then be presented with a new on-boarding workflow which will assist them in changing the password.

Additionally, the administrator will be prompted to choose whether anonymous access should be enabled.

For users who wish to deploy instances programmatically, we’ve also added a new REST API endpoint which can be used to set a user’s password. This endpoint could be used by a script to change the admin users password after reading the generated one from the file.

The new admin default settings for Nexus Repository Manager delivers enhanced safety for a secure, single source of truth to store and manage binaries and build artifacts.

Hi,

i am trying to deploy the Nexus 3.19 release by using the docker image. post deployment i want to update the admin password programatically. here you mentioned that we can update the admin password by using the rest API post installation. i searched the web, but couldn’t found any example.

it would be great if you can share some examples or direct me to share link which i can explore.

Thanks and regards.

You will be able to find further documentation in the API documentation (found in the Administration section under System ) of your Nexus Repository Manager instance however I think you can achieve what you want by sending a PUT request to http://localhost:8081/service/rest/beta/security/users/admin/change-password using your admin user credentials (as listed in the file in your (basedir)/sonatype-work/nexus3/admin.password file) for authentication, and passing in the new password in the body of the request

Hope that helps,

Joe

Hi,
is it possible set initial password instead of generated random password. I am starting nexus server as docker container. To automate setup process I should be able to set an initial password by starting the container. Or there is another way of doing this automation ?

Thank you!

You can also set the “nexus.security.randompassword=false” java system property, that will cause the default admin password to be “admin123”.