Downloading VSCode extensions through Nexus Repository

Hello!

I am using a local Nexus Repository server (Sonatype Nexus Repository) to download R and Python packages and i’m looking into doing the same with Visual Studio Code for downloading extensions. This would help solve networking question by going through the Nexus server (by default no internet access on specific servers), and also give the option to monitor what extensions are being used.

As I could not find a way myself, does anyone know if it is possible to use Nexus Repository in Visual Studio Code for downloading extensions?

Thank you,
Mart

2 Likes

Tagging along in this one, as 3rd party marketplaces are known to be used by adversaries to publish malware. IDE’s, but also other systems used by developers, are interesting targets. A generic answer from Sonatype on the usage of Nexus for dealing with marketplace extensions would be appreciated.

2 Likes

We haven’t checked into what protocol VSC uses, so there might or might not be an out of the box way to do it using a raw proxy, or potentially some other kind of proxy depending on what packaging is involved. Is there a way in VSC to point it to a different extension source? That would be the minimum to get started experimenting.

1 Like

IMHO
A troublesome topic - look at how many hosts are involved when VSC is running.
It’s easier to deploy squid next to it on the same host (VM) where Nexus is installed. And reconfigure VSC to work with it.

1 Like