Help to start Nexus in a docker container

Our devops manager has recently left our small firm and left me instructions to stop and start our nexus repository but they do not seem to be working and he is unavailable to contact for help.

I should say I am a BA and so do not have a lot of Linux / Nexus experience and so any help would be appreciated. I can put down the steps I am following (hopefully these are enough for someone to point out an obvious mistake I am making)

We have a Linux machine hosting the tools (teamcity and nexus) which are set up to run in docker containers.

We have browser access to the control UI for both on our local network. TeamCity is working well, I just cannot connect to Nexus.

The installation is as follows:
Path: usr/colin/devops/nexus_nexus-data
Path: usr/colin/devops/nexus/docker-compose.yml

My instructions were to simply run the command “docker-compose start”
When I do that the response is “starting nexus…done”
But when I type in “docker ps” I do not see the docker container listed, and the local hosted browser fails to connect.

I wonder if the above is enough to let me know if there is another command I am missing?

Theoretically that should be enough, maybe look check the logs to see if you hit an error on startup? docker logs <containerName> will get it, though I don’t know the container name as that’s probably contained in the docker-compose.yml.

Thank you, I tried that I got this response,

nexus_1 ¦ Unable to delete directory /nexus-data/cache.

the strange thing is this is not a file i can find. I have a directory called nexus_nexus-data on the machine, perhaps it was set up a bit unconventionally, should i adjust the yml file to look there do you think?

Often, a docker compose would probably configure a volume for /nexus-data that resolves to a local folder instead of just being part of the docker image (so that the data isn’t lost on upgrade). The failure to delete the directory would probably indicate some kind of permissions issue with that folder. Probably it just needs to be owned by your user if you are running it via docker-compose start.