Understanding my inherited Nexus3 Configuration

Hello Sonatype Community!
I’m new here and hope I can get some advice.
I’ve inherited a Sonatype Nexus Repository Manager OSS 3.23.0-03 installation from an engineer who no longer works for my company. I don’t know what installation process or instructions he followed so I don’t know what documentation to refer to.

Here is what I DO know:

1. I can log into the Nexus admin console, create/remove users, check status and logs and repos, etc.
  2. My other engineers can use this repository, upload artifacts, etc (though there are some problems with uploads and this is in fact what brought me here to begin with).
  3. I know we run Nexus in a docker container on an EC2 instance in AWS. I can log into the EC2 instance and I can connect to the docker container.

Here is what I find confusing:

1. When logged into the EC2 instance and connected to the docker container, I can see the the running jvm:

bash-4.4$ ps -aux
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
nexus 1 0.6 55.0 6084556 2229968 ? Ssl May05 226:39 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0/bin/java -server -Dinstall4j.jvmDir=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0 -Dexe4j.modul
nexus 9073 0.0 0.0 12016 3336 pts/0 Ss 21:21 0:00 /bin/bash
nexus 9089 0.0 0.0 47504 3408 pts/0 R+ 21:28 0:00 ps -aux
bash-4.4$

But I cannot control Nexus using the nexus command. For example, if I check status it says nexus is stopped:

./bin/nexus status
nexus is stopped

…and yet, I am able to log into the web console and perform various actions and the ps command shows the jvm running.

I am probably missing something very basic here (go back to sysadmin school - yeah I know), but I wonder if any of this sounds familiar to anyone? Familiar enough to tell me if there are instructions someplace that might explain how this install was set up and how to manage it? Among other things, I need to perform some database maintenance and also need to increase jvm memory resources, but before doing any of that I need a better fundamental understanding of how this installation works.

If I’m in the wrong place, my apologies.

Thank you,
-Greg

Hey Greg,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Nexus Repository Manager! :wink:

We do have a number of resources that could help get you up to speed with Repo.

Here’s a quickstart guide that covers AWS deployments:

Here are a couple online courses we have the cover the basics of Repo:

Let me know if those help you out or if you have any more questions!

Cheers,

Nick

Also note that the docker image doesn’t use the “nexus start/stop” commands, the lifecycle is done via the container.