Upgrade to Node 16, npm 8.5, doesn't always install new packages

We’re running Sonatype Nexus Repository Manager OSS 3.27.0-03. We’ve been using it great for years with our dev machines using node 10.22, npm 6.x.

We recently upgraded our dev envs to node 16.15, npm 8.5.5. Many packages work fine, but a couple will give us this issue where npm 8.5 won’t find it, but npm 6.x does.

npm i @enrich/pinned-items@3.1.0
npm ERR! code ETARGET
npm ERR! notarget No matching version found for @enrich/pinned-items@3.1.0.
npm ERR! notarget In most cases you or one of your dependencies are requesting
npm ERR! notarget a package version that doesn't exist.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /Users/david.lozzi/.npm/_logs/2022-12-05T19_38_40_606Z-debug-0.log

If I switch to npm 6, it does install.

When on npm 8, the npm view knows the correct version

npm view @enrich/pinned-items@3.1.0

@enrich/pinned-items@3.1.0 | Proprietary | deps: 9 | versions: 19
Pinned items component

dist
.tarball: https://xxx/repository/npm-group/@enrich/pinned-items/-/pinned-items-3.1.0.tgz
.shasum: xxx
.integrity: sha512-xxx
dependencies:
@enrich/docviz: ^4.0.40   js-cookies: ^1.0.4        prop-types: ^15.6.2       react-redux: ^7.2.2       rxjs: ^6.5.4              
axios: ^0.21.0            moment: ^2.29.1           react-html-parser: ^2.0.2 redux: ^4.0.0             

dist-tags:
dev: 3.0.16-EXPE-2052.1  latest: 3.1.0            

published an hour ago

if i just install it, without the version, it installs but the previous version at 3.0.16.

In the past, this usually would “fix itself” after a little bit of time, but it’s been over an hour now and it’s still acting up. Note the two dev releases with EXPE in the name, those installed instantly last week when I was working on this. It appears to randomly delay installing to the latest npm versions, if that makes sense. Also worth noting this package (along w/ others that work fine every time) require us to run/build with npm 6.x, we haven’t upgraded these yet.

Npm 8 came out over a year after Nexus Repo 3.27.0 was released, so this is not a tested combination. I advise upgrading Nexus Repo so you’re using a version that was tested with npm 8.

Rich

Good call, will see if we can get it upgraded.

As of today, I can now install the package. Appears it took a few hours for it to be seen/accessible…